Located next to the Museum of Fine Arts, the old convent of the mercy, the Brotherhood of the Museum, was founded in 1575 in the Mudéjar Church of San Andrés, moving later. Years later, in 1613, a chapel was created which would be the Monastery and Convent of La Merced Calzada.
This rectangular space is decorated with carved and polychrome coffered ceilings at the end of the 17th century. A marble floor covered the ground and was stolen by the Napoleonic troops, although it is preserved in the Archbishop’s Palace. The main altarpiece is of neoclassical style and contains the two titular images of the brotherhood the Christ of the Expiration (1575) by Marcos Cabrera and María Santísima de las Aguas (1772) by Cristóbal Ramos.
With the same relationship of Murillo with the Convent of La Merced, we find the following work.
Resurrection of Christ (reproduction of the original)
It was plundered by the French and was part of the collection of Paris but was later returned to Spain by the French Government, forming part of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando.
The work shows an illumination with contrasts and a strong alternation of chiaroscuro and an image with the guidelines of Pacheco. The perfection of Murillo is shown in the dynamism of the body of Jesus, showing himself to be very spiritual in contrast to the soldiers who show themselves without movement.