It is located in the neighborhood of Santa Cruz in Santa Teresa Street and is known as the Convent of Las Teresianas also for belonging to the congregation of the Discalced Carmelites. Its founder naturally, Santa Teresa de Jesus, curiously and as anecdote I never got to know. Its construction dates from the beginning of the seventeenth century in the area of the old Jewish quarter of Seville.
Architecturally we can talk about the main door of the church of the sixteenth century composed of a vain with lintel on two corbels and on which is a tejaroz, with wooden structure. Here you will find wall paintings with classic Baroque themes such as La Inmaculada Concepción, San José and Santa Teresa and two tarcoles with the symbol of San Elías, the flamboyant sword and the open book, the shield of the Carmelite Order and the figure of the Holy Spirit in the shape of a dove between heads of cherubs.
The inner part is formed by a nave covered by a barrel vault with lunettes and where the main chapel stands out, with a square structure, and with a hemispherical dome.
Concerning the main facade of the convent whose composition is simple, we highlight its lintel shape decorated only with a mural, on which there is a small window protected by forge ironwork.
the rest of the facade has typical convent decoration where several millstones are inserted. We can highlight the sockets in almagra color with some small window protected with fittings. If we can highlight in the area of the side facade a small altarpiece of tiles representing Santa Teresa de Jesus.
The space of the convent has undergone a great evolution that has configured a complex organization around the open spaces eats for example the compass, the cloister and the patio of the subpriora being the main ones and the smaller ones like the patio of the vault, for being under it the crypt of the community and the patio of the arbor associated with the functions of service for the kitchen. The space also has a back garden, parterres, with tree species and ornamental plants.
The construction of the building is divided into two parts:
One that corresponds to the Renaissance palace, whose courtyard has now become the cloister and some of its dependencies have become the announcers, infirmaries and other service areas.
The other zone corresponds to the baroque church with sacristy, the low choir and other adjoining rooms.
The Compass is configured as an open space that joins the external goal, the church and the closing and on the right wall is located the inner goal where the winch is located.
The configuration of the Cloister is of rectangular form with four galleries, being those of the ground floor of columns of cylindrical marble shaft with Corinthian capitals. However, in the galleries on the upper floor it resembles the lower part but with marble balustrade. The central zone has a more modern type of creation, although the sockets are from different periods.
In the area of union of the two galleries is the main staircase of access to the upper floor, built in 1951 to replace the original of the sixteenth of narrow dimensions that is still preserved.
On the top floor we must highlight the beautiful paneling with lintels stained with muqarnas that covers it.
If we access the staircase to the area on the right, we find the “High Recreation” room that looks out onto the back garden through two balconies, with a rectangular shape covered by an important coffered ceiling.
We must not forget an interesting 17th-century canopy on a console and the image of the 18th-century Immaculate Conception of the Novitiate.
Then we can see that in front of the staircase is located the door of the Oratory, called “Cell of the Holy Mother” for the seated sculpture of the saint who is in it. The room has a rectangular shape with a flat roof made of wooden beams.
If we access from the stairs to the area on the left, we reach the library covered by a rich coffered ceiling from here we can access the laundry room located on the third floor on the east end roof. From here you can access some galleries that preserve coffered ceilings similar to those of the lower floor but with very lost pictorial decoration.
The confiscation in the years 1835 to 1837 requires that all monasteries with less than 20 nuns were closed However the nuns requested protection to Queen Elizabeth II, although the problems did not remain there as it suffered the ravages of an earthquake and bombing
In the first half of the 900 that began the restoration work with the construction of new cells and new services. Some years later they were made from the renovation of buildings.