Seville Archbishop’s Palace

The archiepiscopal palace represents an example of the most ostentatious vision of the church in the Baroque era. This palace was donated in the thirteenth century by King Ferdinand III to Bishop Don Remondo and from that time there are hardly any remains. The palace dates from the sixteenth century and reforms were carried out in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

The main staircase dates back to the seventeenth century and has murals attributed to Juan de Espinal.

Murillo entered the service of Archbishop Spinola and in 1673 he painted the Virgin with the child in the oratory under which there is a reproduction. It was called the cut virgin to be separated until its restoration in the nineteenth century. It shows a virgin with the child standing on a cloud base and with an allegorical vision of infantile angels.

Yes there are two works from the convent of San Francisco, the immaculate with Fray Juan de Quirós and the Virgin delivering the rosary to Santo Domingo, the latter for the convent of the Dominican Fathers of St. Thomas.

The immaculate with Fray Juan de Quirós: this work is a groundbreaking work of Murillo, since to use the technique of the painting in the other painting, and using the resource to show another reality, the so-called Trampantojo. Fray Juan de Quiros was a friar dedicated his life to the virgin, born in Osuna and who wrote books dedicated to her to be a strong defender of Maria.

The virgin delivering the rosary to Santo Domingo 1638-1640, it belonged so juvenile Period and is dedicated to Santo Domingo de Guzmán, where the miracle takes place in which an allegorical vision of the virgin appears giving the rosary to the Saint to propagate the dogma . Here the influence of his teacher Juan del Castillo is shown.