In the town of Bollullos de la Mitación, in the region of Aljarafe Sevillano, it is located in an old hermitage built on an old Almohad mosque of which we have its minaret, the image of the Virgin of Cuatrovitas. A virgin who is venerated in her hermitage from the XIII century, shortly after the conquest of the Arabs by the Christian troops. Its name derives possibly from the name of place of prayer of four villages of the region (four Habitan).
Hermitage of Cuatrovitas
Every last Sunday of October, the pilgrimage of the Virgen de Cuatrovitas takes place in Aljarafeña, a pilgrimage that can be considered the oldest in the province of Seville, with more than four hundred years since 1595 is the date on which it was founded the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Cuatrovitas and and the first Rules were approved.
The dedication to the image of Santa María de Cuatrovitas begins according to the legend when a shepherd finds in a well the image of a virgin of small size to hide it from the Muslims.
Curiously, the image is hidden in a mosque in which, as we have indicated previously, the current hermitage was erected, a building of Almohad origin before the Giralda and similar to it, and with Mudejar remains and modifications of the XVII, XVII centuries. This dedication has served for centuries to ask for protection, help against diseases and wars, by the inhabitants of Bollullos and the rest of the Aljarafe where it is very popular and revered.
The image of the initial virgin of the medieval era disappeared, however a new one was made in the 18th century, a candlestick whose hands and head are carved in wood
The author shows us less drama than in other Marian images with a subtle touch of childishness characteristic of those times
Being of a childlike nature, the polychromy shows us clear and pearly colors that show us the quality of your skin. Its standing composition indicates that it is an image ready to dress and whose face has undergone modifications in its morphology
The image of the Virgin shows in her right hand the fig tree flower, symbol according to the Fathers of the Church of the Church, which is a unit and in its interior there are numerous seeds. In the other hand, the child Jesus appears as not.
The child also has his story because the original was lost and he was replaced by a child of wood pulp from the Convent of Santa Inés of Seville, in the 30s of the 20th century, although this child is not the definitive one since the present Child Jesus that currently holds the Blessed Virgin of Cuatrovitas is that which belonged to the Virgin of Carmen; It is a wood carving signed and dated by Gutiérrez Cano in 1880.
The brotherhood was initially founded in Seville by neighbors of Seville and initially it was a parent company but in the 18th century, it was moved to the town of Bollullos and that of Seville remained as a subsidiary.
The Virgin is transferred from her hermitage every July 25 (Santiago Apostol) to the church of San Martin, baroque church of the eighteenth century and remains there until its transfer in September. At the end of October is the pilgrimage, along a path that also passes pilgrims who go to Rocío on Pentecost.
That day is a day of celebration, singing and dancing in honor of the patron saint, where pilgrims and horsemen accompany the Virgin for more than six hours on the pilgrimage to the village. When it arrives at the hermitage it is probably the most impressive moment as the Virgin stops to parade pilgrims and horsemen in front of her.