This pilgrimage and religious manifestation, is celebrated in the city of Dos Hermanas on the third Sunday of October, and the pilgrimage consists of a transfer of the Blessed Virgin from the church of Santa María Magdalena (baroque church of the seventeenth century) of Dos Hermanas to the hermitage of the Cortijo del Cuarto, located in Seville, in the Bellavista neighborhood, and which was not until 1937 when it passed to Dos Hermanas. This pilgrimage is of good cultural interest but it has a history and a process behind it.
The image of the Virgin is a duplex carving of two figures carved in wood and polychrome. It is believed that its origin is medieval, the thirteenth century, as it is indicated, San Fernando in the Conquest of Seville, entrusted to her. Once the Spanish capital was conquered, the king built a chapel in the area of Valme and here I place the image to which I invoke – sitting presenting Santa María with her Son sitting on the left side,
According to say at the foot of the image placed the banner removed from the Muslims and soon the Hermitage soon became a place of pilgrimage for peasants and villagers from the nearest areas; although there is really no data that the pilgrimage did not begin before the 17th century. In those times the feast was celebrated on the second day of Pentecost Easter. However, the devotion to María de Valme was more deeply rooted in the town of Dos Hermanas, where the Cortijo de Cuartos belonged. and his image was carried in procession to ask for protection against catastrophes
Until the nineteenth century, specifically at the end, there is no moment of maximum splendor with the refoundation of the brotherhood of the seventeenth century and at this time it is decided to hold a Pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Fourth with the image of the Blessed Virgin, as currently. This first pilgrimage would be celebrated in 1894, and it would be done annually.
The first years of the pilgrimage and brotherhood were hard since to cover the expenses, it was necessary to draw lots of equipment like agricultural material or heads of cattle, besides that the Miura family, proprietor of the Cortijo de Cuarto, had forbidden the passage of the Roman procession. for its crops.
In fact in the early years of the twentieth century, economic hardship meant that there were almost no exits, a situation that was maintained until 1916, when a group of brothers proposed that the Pilgrimage be celebrated again. From here on, the mayor decided only to subsidize it and from 1916 to 1930 there were annual processions.
It is time for motorization, not only horsemen arrive but buses loaded with pilgrims and pilgrims as well as numerous preachers. The extern of the cart of the Virgin is improved. A period, in short, splendid, in which the Romme de Valme, being the busiest after the Virgen del Rocío.
The 1930s were socially difficult especially with the proclamation of the Republic, where religious symbols were banned and pilgrimage was even endangered. Years of anarchism and social conflicts that forced in 1934 and 35 the celebration of the same in intimate atmosphere without the party of previous years.
The Civil War, between 1936 and 1939, left Dos Hermanas in a disastrous economic situation, although the pilgrimages were celebrated with religious fervor and a less festive atmosphere. A reform was made in the tabernacle and the situation improved with contributions from people linked to it
In the 60’s, the Brotherhood is renewed affecting the pilgrimage. Thus, the one we know today is adopted as a model of the cart’s externality; posters and convocations of the cults and the Romería are published in color; the Proclamation in honor of the Virgin is established; the number of horsemen, carts and pilgrims rises considerably, around one hundred thousand people; a campaign to raise brothers and spread the Pilgrimage begins …
In 1973 the Canonical Coronation of the Virgin of Valme was produced and in 1993 he received the visit of his Holiness Pope John Paul II.
As we have indicated, the pilgrimage begins on the third Sunday of October. At dawn, with the mass of pilgrims in the parish, the image of the Virgin is then transferred to her cart, made with thousands of handmade tissue paper flowers. The colors change from yellow, pink, blue and orange to white. The columns are decorated with green yours and baskets with a thousand rods of tuberose. The cart is pulled by oxen.
The procession accompanies the virgin on horseback or walking, the women are dressed in flamenco. This pilgrimage is one of the largest number of people and a devotion to a medieval virgin linked to the province of Seville.