It is believed that the foundation of the church took place in the period of the Repartimiento shortly after the capture of the city by King Ferdinand III El Santo, built on the site of an old mosque. Some researchers believe that his building was promoted by his son Alfonso X El Sabio.
Due to clashes between the ducal houses of Medina Sidonia and Arcos, the church suffered one of its first fires, and was rebuilt in 1478.
Apparently in the eighteenth century he suffered another fortuitous fire that forced him to make a restoration in the temple.
It should be noted that remains of the minaret of the ancient mosque of great beauty and restored, which is located at the foot of the nave of the Gospel, are preserved.
On July 18, 1936 the temple was burned down and looted in the previous moments of the Civil War, with all the liturgical furniture and the wooden structures of the covering of the ships being destroyed. The current roof belongs to the last restoration carried out in 1987.
In 1911 it was declared a subsidiary of the parish church of San Julián. Later it was created again as a parish, separating this time from those of San Julián and San Román.
The apse of this church, where the aforementioned Major Chapel is located, is deep and consists of two sections, the first rectangular and the second polygonal, covered by a Gothic ribbed vault of stonework and brick.
From the outside, its most outstanding elements are its main portal, located at the foot, and the tower, the rest of the old mosque, located at an angle next to it.
This doorway is from the late fifteenth century, Gothic style, made of sandstone and archivolts, the exterior (first and last) decorated with the characteristic saw teeth or diamond tips. On both sides and on the key has small figures on pedestals and with a canopy, and on the upper front shows a horizontal strip decorated with sections of sebka, of clear Mudejar influence, which gives a contrast between the Christian and Muslim world.
This cover is undoubtedly one of the most interesting in this type of church in the city, and its beauty stands out on the brick front with which the facade is built; combination, brick wall-stone portal, which characterizes the temples of this type.
Very important is also its tower, square, very slender and located on the facade. To the outside it has geminated windows framed by alfiz, and decoration of sebka cloths of Almohad origin, similar to those that exist in other church towers, as in Omnium Sanctorum, or in the own Giralda of the Seville cathedral. Corresponds to the minaret of the old mosque that existed in this place, before the church itself, and is crowned by a bell tower of 1603 attributed to Vermondo Resta. This tower was restored in 1916 by the Sevillian architect Aníbal González.
Its architectural characteristics correspond to the general characteristics of the 14th century parish churches of those known as the group of 1356, of Gothic-Mudejar style, being one of the least transformed of those that form this group, despite the many changes and effects suffered by the building over time.
Rectangular, it has three naves, the lateral ones being a flat roof and the central one with an octagonal apse covered with ribbed brick vaults.
Of great excellence and purity of lines are the arches that separate these ships, horseshoe pointed in difference to other Mudejar churches of ogival arches and framed in alfiz, resting on pillars of rectangular plant. The arch or access to the Main Chapel is Gothic or ogival, pointed, and rests on two large columns.
The interior of the temple, with white walls, is practically free of added decoration, which highlights the beauty and contrast of its constructive elements, highlighting among its movable assets an image of San Marcos that is attributed to the artistic circle of Juan of Mesa.